Hints of it can be found in their curiosity, energy, creativity, abilities. It’s there, waiting to be brought to life.
Currently, you may find that either …
1. Passion is undefined – they seem to lack motivation and drive. Maybe they aren’t clear on what they want to do. Or he attempts to move forward but his efforts seem to fizzle, even when you try to be supportive.
2. They have an interest – but they’re not sure it could turn into anything productive or sustainable. They may see their interest as something that is either too risky or unattainable.
3. They’re clear on their passion – and want to fully develop their skill or talent, and you’re all for it. You want to support them in their quest and are looking for something that goes beyond what school and other programs have been able to offer.
There might be other challenges …
- Your child could be shy, introverted, super sensitive, or awkward and having a hard time connecting with others. They’re very much on their own path, and fitting in may not be something they want or able to do.
- They might be easily distracted and having a hard time focusing. They tend to wander and can’t seem to stay on course for any length of time.
- There may be special circumstances that make things more difficult, like a limitation or other condition they’re dealing with.
Imagine seeing them …
Naturally more engaged, excited, focused, and productive.
Developing skills and talents.
Working through challenges, growing in self-awareness and capacity along the way.
Watch my 6-minute video to see how I can help awaken their inner genius.
NOTE: we can do everything in the video you just watched from anywhere in the world through our live virtual classroom!!
Teen & Young Adult
The moment you meet Carl, the passion and enthusiasm for his work is undeniable. Carl’s coaching methods include practical, interactive and fun approaches to handling real life challenges. He has been a mentor, a coach, a supporter and a friend to our son who continues to grow and develop in his social interactions and personal connections.
We’ve seen a better attitude, improved self-confidence and a heightened social ambition. My husband, myself and especially my son, highly recommend Carl, with his unique style and distinctive positive outlook.
Your young one fully using their talents, creativity, the magic inside.
What's the recipe?
It starts with ...
The foundation from where it all becomes possible - like all of us, kids fundamentally crave to be seen and understood and to be given the freedom to be who they are - a rare and precious gift, and absolutely essential.
Now ... let's add other essential ingredients to the mix ...
What you now have is a complete support system to thrive in every way.
And with all essential elements in place...
Untapped Genius: The "ultimate support system."
What I'm offering is a custom-tailored approach to discovering, developing, and expressing who your young one is and what they love. The program will provide everything needed to turn their interests into something real, tangible, and solid - ultimately, fostering a balanced, successful life.
Untapped Genius for Young Minds is an online program of one-on-one, real-time coaching and teaching to help put your child in the flow of realizing their potential.
Guided by their interests and passion, it provides everything they'll need to get things grooving, and along the way, cultivate a mindset that will serve your young one well in every facet of life.
Setting the Stage
First, you and I talk about where you find your young one currently - what they're up to, what you think their potential is, and what the challenges are. Then we'll discuss possibilities for working with your child.
Then they will connect with me online to learn more about each other and set the stage for what we could do together.
The Adventure ...
We begin our weekly coaching sessions. Each week, we'll connect using Zoom so that we can use web cams if desired and screen sharing when sketching out ideas.
A session typically lasts 60-90 minutes, depending on what's happening during the call.
In between sessions, they can text or email me anytime with questions, share what they're working on, and celebrate wins.
While the specific content of our sessions will be unique to their interests, the main themes at play are:
Discovering what fires them up. I'll give them the space to be who they are - not what others think or expect, but who they naturally are when nobody is watching.
What are they interested in? What can they see themselves doing in the absence of uncertainty, doubt, fears, and other challenges?
Developing their ideas, mindset, and self-awareness. How aware are they of their thought processes, emotions, mindset? We'll explore the nature of the mind and the power it has to either propel them forward or hamper their best efforts.
They'll develop a strong sense of self and a mindset that leads to mental well-being and choices that will serve them well.
Turning their passion into something real, developing talents along the way. I use my background in web development, creative problem solving, and personal development to help come up with an interest-based project that we then "co-create" together to help bring their ideas into full fruition.
We'll also explore "secrets" to mastering any skill or talent they want to pursue - my specialty!
Using the "power of partnership." We'll begin to engage the interest and efforts of others to help take things to the next level and to share what they're about with others.
If they're interested in turning their passion into a business, we can work on branding and marketing activities to build their online presence.
Other things we may do
The coaching sessions are based on the unique interests and capabilities of your teen and can take form in a variety of ways. For example:
- If they’re excited about an invention idea, I might show one of my inventions on camera for inspiration and talk about the process I went through to make it happen.
- If they’re passionate about music, I may play my drums for them and then talk about how rhythm can be used to find the groove in life.
- When a problem comes up, we’ll talk about different approaches that can be used to not only get past it, but ultimately, how to transform it into an opportunity.
- For inspiration and insight, we may look online for examples of others successfully doing what they want to do.
- We’ll research the latest discoveries in science and nature and synthesize what we find into a broader perspective.
- We can explore “mindfulness” to learn how to quiet the mind and be present to what’s happening around us.
Case Example: Jason's Story
Case example: I coached a 17 year old student I’ll call Jason who looked at me with a blank stare when I asked him one day, “So, what are your dreams?” Having graduated from high school with a second grade reading level due to his “learning disability,” he was never encouraged to want anything special for himself. It didn’t take me long to discover his unique abilities – an amazing capacity to take in information, a laser-like focus on things that interested him, and the gift of gab!
My first step was to inspire him by taking him to a movie production facility to see all the equipment there – he knew more about the devices than I did! Then, in addition to getting him a tutor to improve his reading skills, I signed him up for a free course on sound and lighting at a public access tv station.
The highlight for me was when he called me one day to say he was filming a high school football game – and having a blast!
When I last heard from him, he was running his own hot dog stand where he could use his gift of gab to connect with his customers.
Note: while I worked with Jason locally, the same types of activities can be done online.
Witness your young one traveling their path with a sense of clear purpose - equipped with new insights, skills, and awareness to help achieve their dreams.
Along the journey of discovery, they will get to experience, and integrate, a variety of insights, know-how, skills, techniques, and approaches to key facets of life including:
- Clarifying - their intentions and committing to their passion and sense of purpose.
- Brainstorming - synthesizing, critiquing, and shaping ideas into viable possibilities.
- Modifying - and adjusting their ideas when things don't go as planned.
- Orchestrating - paying attention to timing and rhythm so that things get in line, in sync, and in flow.
- Discovering - what's true for them to help guide them through the myriad choices they'll have to make.
- Expanding - their self-awareness to better know their nature, how they learn, communicates, what their needs are - with a strong sense of self, they'll be less likely to be influenced by external forces.
- Mastering - and developing their skills and talents.
- Exploring - the nature of mind both in it's ability to propel us forward or get in the way.
- Liberating - thinking creatively and powerfully to break the shackles, step out of the box of habitual patterns, and go beyond perceived limitations.
- Tapping - methods to better recognize and use the built-in abilities of the mind and body to better do what he does.
- Aligning - powerful techniques for turning problems into opportunities, remaining steady when facing crises, and resolving conflicts with others - all critical skills to keep things moving forward.
- Nurturing - the importance of self-care, life balance, listening to the body.
- Mindfulness - meditation and other practices to help remain awake and present to life around them.
- Grooving - experiencing more flow in their lives for optimal performance and fulfillment.
- Connecting - sharing their passion with others in a compelling way to engage the efforts, skills, and talents of others - having a support team is vital.
Now you have a sense of your one's journey to empowerment. Bravo!
A Special Note: The insights I provide come from my body of work called Life as a Wave. You can download my ebook, A Guide to Life as a Wave: 4 Principles of Rhythm & Flow to get an idea of what it's about.
The Complete System of Support
We connect for 60-90 minutes each week through the internet using Zoom for sound, video, and screen sharing.
They can text or email me anytime with questions, share what they're working on, and celebrate wins.
Learn what it takes to fully develop an idea or passion by doing a project together. Find out more here.
Notes & Videos
They can review past sessions including notes, videos and screen sharing.
Secure login for their easy access to all recordings, notes, intake forms, and resources.
Access to all of my Life as a Wave content including tips, how-to's, core principles, and more.
To the Untapped Genius Club that offers courses, webcasts, group coaching, and a forum to connect, collaborate, and inspire one another.
Coach on Demand
My app for quick access to the Resource Library, the Untapped Genius Community, online tools, and more.
I've coached folks from all walks of life, from the homeless to the famous, and I know the power of partnership and what it can do, especially for those discovering their own path.
I've been there myself. Like Jonathan Livingston Seagull, from the book by Richard Bach, I realized at an early age that I didn't want to merely "hang with the flock to find food and shelter." I wanted to discover the world, find out what I was capable of, bring new creations to life!
I've experienced first hand how exhilarating travelling one's own path can be. I also know the journey can be rather challenging and scary at times and that the right kind of support and encouragement are absolutely essential.
When I coach, I bring the "all of me."
My energy, my enthusiasm, my skills, my experiences - including 20 years of coaching, extensive training in personal growth, building websites and courses for entrepreneurs, running a successful online business, playing Jazz guitar and world percussion, inventing gadgets, and enjoying an active lifestyle skiing, playing tennis, and kiteboarding.
CLICK HERE to learn more of what I bring ...
My training & background …
- Studied core coaching competencies through the International Coaching Federation, of which I’m a founding member and technical adviser for the local chapter here in Buffalo, NY., and through Coachville, a premier source for learning the art of coaching..
- Witnessed cutting-edge coaching while on the development team for Thomas Leonard, known as “the father of coaching.”
- Explored other sources of insight and know-how including the 300+ books I’ve read and seminars I’ve taken on personal growth and the nature of life and mind.
- Learned a ton traveling my own uncharted path and working through the myriad challenges of pursuing my passion.
- Studied Electrical & Computer Engineering as well as music at the Philadelphia College of the Performing Arts, Musician’s Institute, and Los Angeles Music Academy.
- Synthesized all of the above into a body of work I call Life as a Wave. Read my ebook, Life as a Wave: 4 Principles of Rhythm & Flow to learn more.
I’ve had some amazing adventures …
- Lived for a short time on a sailboat in the Grenadine islands searching for the ultimate kiteboarding spots (my #1 passion).
- Ran a business selling my tabletop waterfalls.
- Invented gadgets from what I learned as an engineering student like my Automatic Guitar Tuner and Talking Caller ID.
- Studied Jazz guitar and world percussion with legendary musicians like Pat Martino, Stanley Clarke, and Norman Brown.
- Played percussion for an Emmy-winning movie, On Hallowed Ground.
- Climbed to 14,000 feet to ski through the “no fall zone” of Jupiter Peak in Park City, Utah in chest-high powder.
I’ve overcome challenges along the way …
- Learned how to remain positive while living in my van for 6 months when the music thing didn’t work out as planned.
- Chose to not be a victim to circumstance while the helicopter flew me to the hospital after a serious ski accident that left me with 8 broken ribs, fractured collar bone, and dislocated hip.
- Found ways to live my adventures despite my fuzzy mind that often refuses to focus and pay attention.
- Felt peace within myself after years of loneliness and frustration of not being understood.
And I’ve celebrated wonderful victories …
- The benefits of committing to exercising every single day (631 days and counting!).
- The freedom of unconditionally accepting who I am, flaws and all.
- The satisfaction of getting lost in drawing, painting, and sculpting.
- The fulfillment of making a difference in people’s lives.
What I love to do in the playground of life ...
What it's like working with me
Some of the incredible people I've had the honor of partnering with:
Living Your Passion
Sara and I chatted about all of the speakers today at the International Day of Happiness, and you were the best.
Own that, your mission, your passion and your message was really well done and well structured and the delivery was like you had done it a thousand times.
I am looking forward to getting to know you and supporting you and your message.
Thank you for your gift and feeling the power of you and your message!
I believe to my very core that every one of us has something beautiful inside wanting to come out and be expressed - to do good work, to have an impact in this world. Untapped Genius for Young Minds is truly a one-of-a-kind opportunity for your young one to be fully supported in their quest.
I promise I'll bring the all of me to help empower them to do what he or she is here to do, no matter what the situation or challenge!
Life. Is. Good.
Sophia (lead coach!) & Carmelo (Carl) Contino